In the Senior School, we have a philosophy of sport for all as well as sporting excellence. Every child has sporting interests or talents and individuals benefit from being encouraged to enjoy physical exercise whether it is in the context of a wide range of school sports, inter-House competitions or the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Programme. The Senior School are represented at county and national levels and the sporting inter-House competitions involve all pupils and engender great passion and friendly competition.
In the Junior School Physical Education is taught by specialist teachers to all age groups from Nursery through to Year Six. The activities covered include, gymnastics, dance, fitness skills, football, tag rugby, hockey, cross-country, netball, cricket, rounders, athletics and swimming. We also offer fencing and karate as extra-curricular provision. All the groups are of mixed ability with boys and girls taught together in all curricular activity depending on their ages and experience. We adapt PE provision to suit each child's individual needs and those with particular ability and flair for any particular sport are extended through the use of more advanced techniques and extra curricular activities.
We wish our girls and boys to:
- be physically active and find enjoyment in physical activity
- find a lasting sense of purpose, achievement, and fulfilment in physical activity at their own level
- develop an understanding and appreciation of physical activities
- develop physical skills, habits, and interests that will promote a healthy lifestyle and good posture
- develop positive attitudes to physical endeavour, including perseverance, fair play and sporting behaviour, and the ability to cope with success and failure